Citroen DS4 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry if this question has been asked before.

Will a full size 18inch wheel fit in the spair wheel space in the boot.

At the moment my DS has 17inch wheels and I carry a full size spare.

Thinking of trading up and the new DS will have 18inch wheels, it looks like it might just fit.

I just don't like space savers,

Thank you in anticipation.

Edited by: Chris

·
Registered
212 Posts
Did a bit of research on this - er - after buying one.Basic trim cars without an electric handbrake will accept a full size spare in the boot. Anything above that with an electric handbrake will not as the mechanism for it resides in the boot of the car. A space saver will still fit but usually there is just the pump and goo thingy in its place :)

·
Registered
544 Posts
It does depend on your car as to what wheel fits - our old 2013 'Euro 5' 1.6HDi would take a full size 16" spare (as will all cars of this age, even though it had an electronic handbrake) but of course as it has a different rolling radius to the 18" wheels fitted standard it would still have been limited to 50mph so we went for a space saver instead. Our new car is 'Euro 6' with the Adblu tank that means the well will only just take a space saver, you will never get a 16" wheel in there and even the jack doesn't have a specific slot so sits to the side of the wheel in a cloth.

One owner did do a modification on his older DS4 DSport which basically put a section of timber board above the metal floor of the boot which made the well deeper by about 10mm - this was sufficient to put a full 19" spare in the well (obviously there was a cut out in the timber for the actual wheel, I suspect you could do the same to get an 18" Brisbane wheel under there.

The rolling radius of the space saver is much smaller than the normal wheel so I would always advise they go on the back so as not to put pressure on your differential - also, the ESP system gets utterly foxed and thinks one wheel is going faster so your dashboard lights up like a Christmas tree - just ignore if as it resets itself when a full size wheel is fitted.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Thanks for that Frank - I think I will get one of my old C4 wheels (16"), remove the foam filler thing and try it in place. I would still prefer a proper wheel than the space saver one :)

·
Registered
544 Posts
I have just bought a new Kumho tyre to go on a spare alloy we have (well, it was an original alloy that Mrs FB thought had magnetic attraction to kerbs...), it won't fit in the boot as a spare but we go to France next week towing our caravan and it will sit in there under the bed, if I get a flat whilst towing we can still carry on then get the Michelin repaired/ replaced. So we have a space saver to get us home and a full size spare when towing or at home.

I might be paranoid but we got a puncture 2 days before holiday 2 years ago, the tyre arrived at midday the day before we travelled (setting off at 3am to get to the Chunnel on time). I am happy on a space saver but not driving 600 miles and certainly not towing a caravan!

·
Registered
212 Posts
Thanks to FB's comment I have removed the foam thing in my boot and have put in a 205/55 x 16 steel rim and tyre from my old C4 - ok not a full size tyre but way better than a space saver :)

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
F.B you don't have much luck before setting off on your holidays, fingers crossed and keep away from the windscreen.

Have a good holiday.

·
Registered
544 Posts
You're right, I have thought about sitting in a darkened room for a few days before this holiday!

·
Registered
212 Posts
And just in case anyone wants to know for sure - after a puncture on the shoulder of one of my tyres and no similar brand tyres in stock causing the car to be off the road for a few days I bought an 18" Brisbane alloy wheel, fitted a 225 45 x 18 tyre and it slides into the hole for the spare wheel with no issues, okay the jack will not fit at the same time but now I know I can go on holiday or drive long distances without worry.Why don't Citroen do it as an option though?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts