Citroen DS4 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I picked up my DS4 quite a lot earlier than originally anticipated (I was supposed to pick it up on the 29th January, managed to pick it up on the 11th instead [Less than 2 days after I ordered it!]).

Unfortunately though, I'm having a couple of issues.. I've got the VTi 120 DStyle, and when I'm driving along at 30mph (and around 1.6k RPM in any gear) I get a loud whining noise coming from the engine. Now I had a DS3 before this one with the exact same problem and had a similar issue, I was told by the engineer it's just the variable taps on the engine letting air in, however it's a much bigger issue with the DS4. It's much louder and with it happening at 30mph it's really irritating around town. Does anyone else have this issue?


Secondly, the stereo. Every time I get in the car, my phone gets picked up on Bluetooth and I plug it in, so it automatically goes to the "Data loading..." screen and starts playing a song. Every time i plug it in, it resets the playback settings, so it sorts by artist and plays normally. I have to change this to by Playlist and random every time I get in the car, is this normal?


Also the DAB radio came as standard on my model, apparently they've started giving it out for free recently? Anyway, I'm guessing that when it loses it's digital signal it automatically kicks you on to the FM equivalent (if available)? I've been having terrible reception with the DAB radios, it automatically kicks me on to FM even for things like Radio 1.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
472 Posts
The only thing I can comment on is the dab, you don't say where you are but with dab I only have to get 15 miles out of Newcastle and I loose the signal no matter which station I am listening to so if you don't live in a biggish town this could be the problem. As far as the noise goes I would get it checked by your dealer
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
86 Posts
Mine has the DAB radio, which I always listen to, and I can honestly say that I've never lost the DAB signal. I live in the West Midlands but have driven this car south to Heathrow (via M40), east to Huntingdon (via M6/A14) and north to Skipton (via M6/M65). I usually listen to Planet Rock on DAB (due to the iPod connectivity being shockingly poor) and on none of those drives has it ever dropped out of DAB or even had any breakup of the signal.

Personally, I'm hugely impressed with the DAB radio, despite the well known problems with the car's bluetooth connectivity that it causes, especially as there's no external aerial sticking out of the roof.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
38 Posts
I use an iPod touch and plug in through the USB port, occasionally it will playback from the last track and place listened to but mostly I'm back to square one and have to select album and track etc myself, this is when I turn off the ignition and then turn back on later, just used to this now...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
deresim said:
The only thing I can comment on is the dab, you don't say where you are but with dab I only have to get 15 miles out of Newcastle and I loose the signal no matter which station I am listening to so if you don't live in a biggish town this could be the problem. As far as the noise goes I would get it checked by your dealer
According to this online postcode checker, I should get good coverage at the locations I'm usually at (it's usually just those locations and motorways to/from them, where I drive). It's just infuriating that once it's flicked over to FM because it lost DAB signal, it never flicks back over to DAB.
DoomWolf said:
Mine has the DAB radio, which I always listen to, and I can honestly say that I've never lost the DAB signal. I live in the West Midlands but have driven this car south to Heathrow (via M40), east to Huntingdon (via M6/A14) and north to Skipton (via M6/M65). I usually listen to Planet Rock on DAB (due to the iPod connectivity being shockingly poor) and on none of those drives has it ever dropped out of DAB or even had any breakup of the signal.

Personally, I'm hugely impressed with the DAB radio, despite the well known problems with the car's bluetooth connectivity that it causes, especially as there's no external aerial sticking out of the roof.
What bluetooth/ipod problems are there?
PeterS said:
I use an iPod touch and plug in through the USB port, occasionally it will playback from the last track and place listened to but mostly I'm back to square one and have to select album and track etc myself, this is when I turn off the ignition and then turn back on later, just used to this now...
I guess it's a widespread issue then, this is really irritating as it's just a little niggly thing that you have to seem to go through every single time.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
37 Posts
Hi Joel, I have a Dstyle 160 factory order delivered late November and have no Bluetooth or DAB problems and eMyWay has only frozen once but yesterday I noticed a high pitched whine that I can't tell where it's coming from. I would not call it loud though and it's not speed related as I even got it at idle. I will report any further developments.
Dave
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
86 Posts
thebritishbloke said:
What bluetooth/ipod problems are there?
The fitting of DAB radios caused an issue in the bluetooth phone connection where the person you're speaking to can't hear what you're saying even though you can hear them perfectly fine. It appears to have affected all DS4s that were fitted with DAB as standard from the beginning of last year. I don't know whether new cars are still being affected (I'd hope Citroen have sorted it out), but I still don't know of any fix for the cars that were affected. There are some threads about the issue on here.

As for the iPod connectivity, it's just an absolutely rubbish interface and it can't recognise more than 999 tracks on my iPod. I've taken to connecting my iPod via the 3.5mm headphone jack connection.

Edited by: DoomWolf
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
DoomWolf said:
thebritishbloke said:
What bluetooth/ipod problems are there?
The fitting of DAB radios caused an issue in the bluetooth phone connection where the person you're speaking to can't hear what you're saying even though you can hear them perfectly fine. It appears to have affected all DS4s that were fitted with DAB as standard from the beginning of last year. I don't know whether new cars are still being affected (I'd hope Citroen have sorted it out), but I still don't know of any fix for the cars that were affected. There are some threads about the issue on here.

As for the iPod connectivity, it's just an absolutely rubbish interface and it can't recognise more than 999 tracks on my iPod. I've taken to connecting my iPod via the 3.5mm headphone jack connection.

It is a bit silly that it can't handle more than 999 songs, have you tried just making a playlist for songs you actually want to listen to whilst you're driving?


I haven't noticed any issues with my bluetooth, I've only used it a couple of times but nobody has said anything about not being able to hear me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
86 Posts
thebritishbloke said:
It is a bit silly that it can't handle more than 999 songs, have you tried just making a playlist for songs you actually want to listen to whilst you're driving?


I haven't noticed any issues with my bluetooth, I've only used it a couple of times but nobody has said anything about not being able to hear me.
Looks like they've fixed the bluetooth issue for new cars. Just need them to fix it on the older ones now.


I've simply given up with the iPod connection out of frustration with too many issues:

1. When you plug in the iPod it always starts playing the first song of the first artist.
2. No straightforward way of getting it to play random tracks (too many button presses and looking at the screen while driving).
3. When I have got it to work, it doesn't pick up from where it left off when you restart the car (it goes back to the beginning of the track it was on, if it works at all).
4. I've had it just randomly lose connection to the iPod while playing.
5. Scrolling through long lists of artists/albums takes an age.
6. The stupid track limit.

All in all, it's just easier to use the headphone jack connection with it's drawbacks of not having the track displayed on the screen and not charging the iPod.

I just don't understand how Citroen's engineers can get something that should be quite straightforward so wrong. Other manufacturers don't seem to have such problems. I've had hire cars on holiday (Ford, Dodge, GMC and Nissan in the USA) that have all had perfectly usable iPod connections. I plug the iPod in, select the 'random play' option and all is good. It's the feature I was most looking forward to having in the car and the one that has disappointed me the most.

It's a good job the DAB radio works well as I tend to just leave it on Planet Rock. Having the DAB was actually a surprise when I got the car as they'd only just started fitting them as standard in the weeks before mine was built. I didn't even know I had it until I was going through the radio settings when I got it home.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
41 Posts
thebritishbloke said:
So I picked up my DS4 quite a lot earlier than originally anticipated (I was supposed to pick it up on the 29th January, managed to pick it up on the 11th instead [Less than 2 days after I ordered it!]).

Unfortunately though, I'm having a couple of issues.. I've got the VTi 120 DStyle, and when I'm driving along at 30mph (and around 1.6k RPM in any gear) I get a loud whining noise coming from the engine. Now I had a DS3 before this one with the exact same problem and had a similar issue, I was told by the engineer it's just the variable taps on the engine letting air in, however it's a much bigger issue with the DS4. It's much louder and with it happening at 30mph it's really irritating around town. Does anyone else have this issue?
I also have the petrol 120VTi DStyle and have the exact same whining noise at 1600 to 1800 RPM, anyone else experienced this, and if so found a cure for it?
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Top