Citroen DS4 Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just filled up at my local Esso garage and then noticed it was Supreme Diesel. They told me it gives better mpg, but at 8p per litre extra, it had better!
Does anyone have any experience of it?

·
Registered
551 Posts
I've seen a few tests on "super" unleaded supposedly giving more bhp but non didNot seen any on diesel giving more mpg

At 40p a gallon more it would have to be a substantial improvement

·
Registered
312 Posts
The fuel in the UK is very good but elsewhere in Europe it isn't, so the engines are all set up to run on the rubbish fuel .So maybe you have to have the engine tuned to run on the better fuel to gain any benefit .
For example if you put super unleaded in a Ford KA it won't make any difference , but a Aston Martin won't run right without it .

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've just read a few other forums about this and the general consensus seems to be that there is no noticeable difference between Supreme and standard diesel. It seems the main claim is that there is more detergent in it so it keeps the engine cleaner, but standard diesels seem to claim that they have cleaning additives as well. I don't think I'll be spending the extra money on it again.

·
Registered
281 Posts
chud786 said:
I've seen a few tests on "super" unleaded supposedly giving more bhp but non didNot seen any on diesel giving more mpg

At 40p a gallon more it would have to be a substantial improvement

i agree with chud At 40p a gallon more it would have to be a substantial improvement

·
Registered
395 Posts
Tried the 'advanced' diesel at Shell by accident in my Ford Galaxy (same 163bhp engine as DS). It DID make a visible difference I got about 5mpg more across whole tank - engine was smoother delivering power as well, and that was with a full car!I have not tried it in the DS though. I would agree that filling up with this every time is nonsense, but every 10th tank to give it a good clean and pep up is not too much to ask is it?

·
Registered
227 Posts
The more expensive diesels (and petrol) do allegedly have more advanced additives that are meant to keep the engine cleaner, which should as well as giving better economy keep the engine in better condition.
I know some people who use nothing but, some that use it every few tankfuls, and others who will just use the cheapest fuel available.
Personally speaking, when I had a Petrol RAV4, I tried the Shell Advanced and found no improvement from the standard Shell Unleaded. When I had a Diesel RAV4, I again tried the Shell and BP 'special' diesels and again found no benefit in economy, BUT could not be sure on engine cleaning aspect.
I am inclined to use branded fuel (usually Shell), but not spend the extra on the 'specials'. Having said that, my last fill up was with Sainsburys, but I never buy any other Supermarket brands (and be careful with Morrisons... High bio-diesel content that does not suit many engines).
Just my 2p worth

·
Registered
268 Posts
Tried it in my Van, the Shell offering and got poor mpg and a sluggish van so not tried it in the DS.

·
Registered
55 Posts
What about supermarket fuel ? I have been using it for years ! I wonder if there's any benefit swopping to just ordinary branded fuel anyone know ? I think I might try this on my next fill up to see if it makes a difference, my brother in law just had his fuel filter replaced on his diesel which wouldn't pull, the mechanic asked if he used cheap supermarket fuel which he did, mechanic reckons it's a common fault with this fuel clogging up fuel filters.

·
Registered
472 Posts
I use the shell V power unleaded about every 6 months ish normally before a long run can't say that it makes much if any difference just hope it does clean the fuel system, my last car it would get about 3 or 4 mpg betterEdited by: deresim

·
Registered
94 Posts
I used to use the V power in my last car and I used to get about 3mpg more, but bearing in mind that was a 2ltr naturally aspirated engine, it went from 26 to 29 roughly. It worked out slightly cheaper to use the V power and they are a cleaner petrol.

As for using The super Diesel
Using an estimate i currently get about 44mpg out of my diesel and if I got 50 it would be more cost effective to buy Super diesel but I am not sure using super would give that kind of rise in efficiency. Plus to be honest unless you use some kind of test conditions or did a long drive at night you're never going to get a fair comparison

Edited by: Newkiebrown

·
Registered
578 Posts
Isnt it just all marketting hype to fleece motorists of yet more money!! Ive used diesel from my local supermarket for years and always had good mpg and performance.
Save cash I say and then I can upgrade my cars

·
Registered
94 Posts
I don't use supermarket fuel, but a lot is hype. But I've only known supermarkets to have ever had bad publicity over problems, albeit probably one from memory but it's enough to make me not use them. But like you say if you're saving 5p a litre as some deals do use that and once/twice a year use an additive, much cheaper

·
Registered
551 Posts
I don't disagree with anyone's mpg claims but how do you know it's down to the fuel?Surely in "real world" driving conditions there are so many variables that it is almost impossible to get an accurate mpg figure especially as accurate as 3/4mpg

1 - 16 of 16 Posts