Citroen DS4 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I should be a DS4 Owner this time next week!

Did a test drive one week ago - and was the first time I saw one and fist time actually knew the DS4 existed.

Since then, lots of reading and looking about to see what I wanted to get. TBH, my criteria was quite non-specific ... Wanted 4 doors to make it easier for parents in 70s to be in and out relatively easily, or at least easier then a 3 door. As this would be not that regular a requirement, the limited access in a DS4 would be ok, we reckon (the rear doors in the RAV got used by them maybe just 2 or 3 times max in the 18 months I had it)
And wanted a car with decent economy for trips from Scotland to South of England.
So with those two things, had a hell of a wide choice - too wide really

I do like a car with a bit of character, even if it is a little flawed or quirky (but not flawed enough that an Alfa was a real possibility
), so then DS4 obviously was a candidate once I looked around it, and became my benchmark to compare other vehicles against it.

Pinned down a few more "wants/needs" to help me decide.... Climate control a must (not just AC), with Dual-Zone a real bonus point. Sporty appearance wanted, with a smart interior and sharp body lines, and Stop-Start preferred as a good step forward, together with low road tax.
Stuff like auto wipers, auto lights, reversing sensors, always a bonus, but not essential. I do also like keyless entry and keyless start, having had that in the Qashqai and the RAV, as well as even our '08 Swift having it.

So with that list, went back to dealer and did another drive of their '61 plate car, with a likely expectation that I would buy it, but on the second test, it didn't feel as good and the OH didn't like some thing about that car but couldn't pinpoint it.
We also tried out a brand new C4 Manual (i think the new C4 does look very smart as well) and that was an ok drive, but I felt too low in the car, and the steering wheel would not go high enough to to stop me banging my left leg each time I used the very night clutch pedal. All in all, very disappointed in the C4.
Couldn't sus it out, so back in the showroom, kept moving between a DS4 DStyle and a C4 Exclusive .... C4 always seemed too low, DS4 seating position was spot on.
Got slightly waylaid in the process by a DS5! Beautiful car and it was tempting as the budget could have stretched (using the money got from RAV4 theft), but really too big a car for a 2 person use 98% of the time, so had to push that aside.
The salesman offered us another used one ... '13 plate DStyle in pearl white with Sat-Nav, Denon and DAB upgrades, but price was too high I felt, even with a bit of money taken off, as a brand new one would have only been around £1000 more (ignoring the extras).
Decided to take 15 mins to have a think and wandered along the road past the Kia garage, Mitsubishi garage, Peugeot garage, Hyundai garage and renault garage

Looked at all the possible contenders I had considered ... Hyundai i30: nice looking car, but felt cheap inside; Megane: great price, and great spec, but inside felt cheap: Peugeot: don't like the current look..... Basically everything we looked at was inferior in appearance, feel and style to the DS4. Citroen really have got the cabin spot on, with the only competition we saw in the way it worked being from the DS5

So back to the Citroen garage to look at the DS4 in the showroom and have a cuppa (by this time we have been there nearly 4 hours!). In the end, we decided we would take the demo IF the price was right, and went back to sales manager with wallet showing, asking for more money off
he said he couldn't take any more off at all. We said we would have a think about it over weekend, so he disappeared for a few minutes, came back and agreed to meet us half way between our last price and his
- so agreed to buy at around £6,500 off the RRP, which equates to £2,500 off the 'real' on the road price for the spec, which I think is reasonable for a 5 month old car

Well, enough waffle from me!

Cheers

David

·
Registered
578 Posts
Enjoy the experience and with a good deal

Interesting that the Guilietta came 7th in this years What Car survey - - - not a Citroen in sight

Didnt know a RAV 4 was a nickable target

·
Registered
472 Posts
Good choice sure you will not regret it, I have had mine a year now and it still puts a smile on my face

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Rev G said:
Enjoy the experience and with a good deal

Interesting that the Guilietta came 7th in this years What Car survey - - - not a Citroen in sight

Didnt know a RAV 4 was a nickable target
I honestly think there are very few actual "bad" cars nowadays. The ones that come at the back end of these surveys are heads and shoulders above the cars of 20 odd years ago in terms of reliability and build.

The RAV4 was an opportunist theft and a means to carry out all the other stuff I got nicked at the same time! I am convinced the real target was a Subaru WRX I had in the same secured location. Only reason that did not do was it had no wheels on it night of the theft

·
Registered
578 Posts
Hoovie Yup cars today are way better than early cars. I still have nightmares about my first car a Ford Anglia

I drive up to Inverness 2/3 times a year next time I'm going I may pop in and let you clean up my alloys

Do forum member get discount from you

·
Registered
551 Posts
Good choice Hoovie
You got there in the end!
Must have taken as long to write it up as it did to choose the car

1 - 7 of 7 Posts