Citroen DS4 Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am 18 and have saved up my cash for a whole year to buy a decent car. For almost a year I have owned my nans 2003 Vauxhall corsa 1.2 sxi, which is is good car for this city, but fuel economy, motorway drives and taking friends about is a bit of a problem, plus insurance on it is crazy...

So I am looking for a new(ish) car. But due to the fact that there are so many out there, it is really hard to find the right car, at the right size, with the right specs with a good insurance offer...

With all that in mind and months and months of research carried out, I have finally managed to find my 2 favourites.

These are the DS4, and the nissan Juke...

So basically, I need your help deciding...

I really love the looks of the DS4, along with the high driving position and quiet engine. However the thing that is stopping me is the fact that it is a citroen, and I really don't mean any harm or anything, it is just I have always thought that citroen's are slightly unreliable, and because I need my car for work and college, I cannot risk having an un-reliable car. Even my 2003 Vauxhall Corsa, it has only covered 30,000 miles. But has never had one single thing wrong with it, in fact the only thing that has ever had to be replaced on it is the tyres!

So my first question is, have any of you, or any of you heard any issues with the DS4's reliability, because it is a new car, it is hard to find information on this. But the reason I ask is because last year I was watching Watchdog, and people had complained about the DS3's reliability...

Second question is that I am really looking for an automatic, even though the corsa which I have owned for the past year is a manual, I would just prefer an automatic for my car. So my second question is, has anyone on this owners club got an automatic, I was looking at the 1.6 HDi Airdream. Is it quick enough, the top speed seems pretty good although unsure about the 0-60 as the time is about 12.3 seconds, which is slower than my corsa (apparently). But I am really not to bothered about this it is just that when you compare the DS4 to the Juke, the equivalent juke is 4x4 and goes to 0-60 in less than 8 seconds. It really isn't a problem, because I am quite a slow driver anyway, but I just wanted to know if this car felt particularly slow. The only time when I drive fast is on the motorway and when it is safe, and even on the motorway i don't drive that fast

Last question is about parking, because the only car I have ever owned is a Corsa, in this car, i think i may struggle to park it. Has anyone had any experience with the front and rear sensors and how they perform?

Practicality and looks wise, i defiantly prefer the DS4, however the stronger engine in the Juke with AWD is slightly pulling me towards the juke. But if people have experienced the DS4 automatic and really haven't had any problems, then I think the DS4 may be better...

Many thanks, and hope to be seeing you guys at a meet one day?

·
Registered
312 Posts
Hi.
I might be going against the grain on here but if I was to be honest I would say go for the Juke .

The reasons.

1/ I think the DS4 will be a bit old for you ,it's the sort of car your parents would buy , just look at the

average age on here .

2/ Ihave a manual but if you look on here the auto has got it's fair share of problems .

·
Registered
470 Posts
Yes, the DS4 is rather for middle-aged people. Ever thought of buying yourself a DS3? Its for kids like you
, unless you need a 5D that might not be your choice as it only comes as a 3D. Its smaller than the 4 so easier to park and its got loads of power. Those factors are crucial to you though.

·
Registered
231 Posts
agreed if I was your age I would go DS3
I know of 3 juke owners who have all said they would not get another for various reasons....

·
Registered
551 Posts
It sounds like you have done your research and want a larger car than a DS3.I would have no reservations recommending a DS4
To be honest most new cars are so reliable nowadays I don't think you would have a problem with either.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I wouldn't think reliability is a problem on almost all new cars. When I was your age (back in 1995) I had a 1985 C-reg Fiat Uno that was lucky if it went 10 miles before breaking down. That was replaced by a 1991 Citroen ZX that was extremely reliable for the 5 years I owned it.

I agree with a lot of what's been said above. The insurance alone for an 18 year old on a new DS4 must be horrendous.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Oh god!! Does that mean I'm classed as middle aged??? ˜µ Iv seen lots of mid 20s/ early 30s drive the DS4. But I agree with these lot, a DS3 would be more for your age group and for insurance purposes. I pay £650 fully comp for me an my husband and we both been driving 20 years plus, I'd dread to think what it would be for you. X

·
Registered
8 Posts
Ds4 115 airdream EGS 1.6 HDI. Doesnt matter how old you are. Get comments from all ages at work saying how good it looks. Drives really well and would recommend to anyone. Love it! My daughter has a DS3, same engine, just a bit too small for me. And no reliability issues, on my 5th Citroen in 12 years.

·
Registered
70 Posts
As for reliability you will always get some issues but this requires perspective/comparison figures.

4 guys at my place had/have the DS3 and had no issues. 2 have now 'upgraded' to the DS4, 1 lad has gone straight for the 4 and I have one. Age range is from 24 - 30 (me being the 'old' boy at 30).

Between us we all have different specs and none have had any issues thus far on either the 3 or 4.

I have the 1.6 155 Auto. I am a massive fan of manual but the deal I got for mine was my compromise. I must admit I like having the Auto with the option of manual with flappy paddle.

This is my 1st French car and up until about 4 years ago I would not have looked at a Citroen. This was based on my love for Scoobys/Evos/Skylines (Jap Speed basically). The DS models have massively changed my opinion on Citroen and managed to reel me in.

Still love my Jap Raw Speed which will never go away hence my search for another Scooby type.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I think the Ds3 is better suited for you as the Ds4 image is for older ( but young at heart) drivers.
But if you have the funds and inclination, the 2.0 hdi or the auto 1.6 thp 160 are good buys.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts