Citroen DS4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question on TPMS here ...

I had thought TPMS was mandatory by now, but I think due to delays, this is not the case?
The manual talks about what the TPMS warning light looks like, but I can't see that icon on my display anywhere when I turn on the ignition and everything lights up initially.
So what versions (if any?) have TPMS?

I am a great fan and believer of TPMS and routinely add an aftermarket solution to all the cars I have have since 2006, but when I took my TPMS kit and the DS4 to my local preferred tyre dealer to get it fitted, they looked at the existing valves (from the outside) and said they looked like Sensor valves already. So is it possible that all the wheels are fitted with transmitter sensors regardless of if the car they get fitted to have the receiver fitted (or enabled)? That kind of makes sense as it would simplify the build, but car makers are not renowned for adding redundant parts however.

Anyone knows the lowdown on TPMS on the DS4 or has the system on theirs?Edited by: Hoovie

·
Registered
395 Posts
Hoovie, TPMS is on spot models, but you need to press service button ( next to trip odometer) then it flashes up all okay. Had one tyre slow leak a while back, and on ignition a service sign appeared and it mentioned which tyre. So don't think a symbol comes on at start-up unless an issue.
As for mandatory it is coming in 2015 but only for 'new' model cars, so like DRLs there will be some drag in system until all car models refreshed.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Dont think its working on mine.I acquired an alloy from a C4 VTR as a spare wheel so before I head off to France I decided to fit the wheel to make sure it was ok and went for a drive, leaving the removed wheel at home.
No alarms or issues despite no reading from one wheel.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Maybe its an extra option? I know I have it, and it is useful.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Its on my DSport. When I was fitting my alloygators and the tyre pressure was low (before I had reinflated the tyre), a warning came up in my central display. As rich.cath says, pressing the service button also flashes up a tyre pressure indicator.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Tried the various things on this thread and seems like the DStyle (or mine anyway) does not have this feature

I've bought some 17" Peugeot 307 Alloys to use as Winter Wheels so will have my own TPMS system installed on those when I get round to having the Winter Tyres fitted to them

·
Registered
102 Posts
Mine works or not as the case maybe as it has just come up on mine but pressure of tyre is fine, so looks like it has developed a fault, will this item be covered by warranty or not?

·
Registered
395 Posts
What I want to know is how you override it.I have put winter tyres and wheels on (with no TPMS obviously) and I now get warnings and service indicator all the time. The set-up options does'nt allow you to turn it off it seems.

·
Registered
102 Posts
What wheels and tyres have you managed to find.............been told previously difficult to find wheels Winter/spare to fit the sport

·
Registered
395 Posts
Sorry for slow reply chaps, been getting ready for Xmas.I got some 17" alloy wheels and 17x205x50 winter tyres. Cost £700 in total, got deal from Wilco Motosave in Gainsborough but means I can just swap out wheels in spring and next winter. Should get 2 winter seasons from them, and extend summer tyres in mean time.

The 17" alloys were smallest to allow brakes to clear, and they don't do 17" steel wheels so might as well have something that looks nice.

Interesting thing though the new ones don't have TPMS on so expected car to flash error - it does'nt!!
No error/warning when first starting up and when you press service button it says tyre pressure is okay, only after about 30miles (just arriving in Hull, or home from Hull) does service indicator come on and tyre error warning.
Garage as usual useless, and says this is normal - but seems suspect to me that TPMS does'nt tell you you have 4 flat tyres (as far as its concerned) until you would have crashed and died or at least shot the alloys. Not sure how good system really is

·
Registered
472 Posts
I haven't got any pressure monitors on my tyres, at least not that I can find, does anyone out there know how these actually work, i thought something actually monitored the circumference of the actual tyre, I patiently wait for some technical advice on this

·
Registered
395 Posts
Deresim,They only come on some models, but will be compulsory for all new cars from 2015.

The built in ones have a battery and pressure sensor built in the rim (special stiff valve). They have large button batteries that last about 4 years, but can be replaced when you change your tyres. The car ECU picks up the transmission coded from each sensor so it knows which is faulty. there are a few makes though all slightly different.

The after-market ones are similar but the sensor is like a large valve cap you bolt on and the unit picks up the sensors.

·
Registered
472 Posts
thanks nice to know, thought it would be something like that but my valves look normal i.e. dosent seem to be any sensor fitted

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
rich.cath said:
Deresim,They only come on some models, but will be compulsory for all new cars from 2015.

The built in ones have a battery and pressure sensor built in the rim (special stiff valve). They have large button batteries that last about 4 years, but can be replaced when you change your tyres. The car ECU picks up the transmission coded from each sensor so it knows which is faulty. there are a few makes though all slightly different.

The after-market ones are similar but the sensor is like a large valve cap you bolt on and the unit picks up the sensors.

Hi Rich,

it does depend on what aftermarket unints you have

There are some basic ones which use valve caps, but there are other (better) units that use internal sensors and special valves just like the OEM units. The unit I usually go for is the TyreSure/Orange TPMS system which works really well and is very well priced.

I believe BMWs use no sensors for their TPMS, but calculate rolling radii, and report back if one wheel is different to the others (which would happen if a type lost pressure). This type of system is very handy if you want to switch between summer and winter tyres of course

·
Registered
60 Posts
Hi
I've seen some images of the eMyWay screen being used to show tyre pressure.. Is that normal or a hack/different model ?

Is there anyway to check the tyre pressure from the car?

Thanks

·
Registered
472 Posts
Depending on your model you might or might not have it fitted, if you have it press the spanner button near the speedo and it will show you all 4 wheels, green if the pressure is right and red if a tyre is low

1 - 20 of 29 Posts