Citroen DS4 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1 week into owning my DS4 I'm already thinking about saving for tyres! For some reason I assumed they would be the same size as the C4, but they aren't, and searching online brings up loads of BMW and Audi specific tyres, as well as the standard ones, but cheapest I've found is about £120 each! I did find one at Asda tyres (just an online booking service, they don't actually sell tyres!) for £55, but I don't know if I'd trust it.

Any advice? Where have you found the cheapest tyres? I think I'll definitely be buying and booking online with the price of these. I'm certainly going to need 2 front tyres within a few months. 3mm left on them. . .

By the way, in case not all DS4s have the same tyres, mine are 225/45 R18 91V, original Michellin tyres still fitted at 10600 miles. Is it worth checking Citroen for prices on these?

Cheers.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hi, not sure what size rims you have but, three months ago I had too buy a pair of fronts for 19" inch rims and opted to purchase a pair of Kumho's
http://www.camskill.co.uk/m55b0s467p15897/Kumho_Tyres_Car_Kumho_KU31_Ecsta_Sport_Kumho_KU_31_-_225_40R19_93Y_XL_TL_ (the service was quick, but don't forget that you'll need to pay someone to fit and balance them corectly)

They have offered up as much traction in the wet as the Michelin Pilot Sports do and seem to be wearing well,i'm having to replace the back two today and one of the fronts as it has now got a bulge in the sidewall probably due to the amount of pot holes that are on the A36.

I'm having them done this time by the main dealer as they worked out slightly cheaper and was also having some other work carried out by them.

Sorry didn't read your post properly,you do state 18" inch rims.

Edited by: wylie

·
Registered
29 Posts
I did look at the Nankang NS2, some of the reveiws were positive but some negatives as well so I thought I would pay just a bit more after a friend recomended I look at the Kumho's, it would be helpful if you would let us all konw how they drive, espeicialy in the wet.

·
Registered
11 Posts
For what it's worth, I have Kumho's on my SEAT Leon FR and they have been excellent. Hope not to be in the market for replacements on the new DS4 for at least 18 months, but will keep an eye on this thread for more updates.

·
Registered
29 Posts
My fronts were worn out at 14500 miles rear's are just about gone now at 20000 miles. that's on a Dsport 2.0L diesel

·
Registered
10 Posts
I've got NanKangs on my DS4 Dsport at the moment, and I wouldn't recommend them. Yes, they are hard-wearing and cheap, but this also makes them incredibly noisy. I had to take my DS4 into the Citroen garage because I was convinced the wheel bearings have gone, and was only convinced it was a tyre problem when they swapped wheels with a DS4 in the showroom and the noise went away. Now I'm just waiting for the NanKangs to wear out so I can replace them with something else. This won't be Michelins though: as others have said, these can wear out in less than 12000 miles and cost £1000 to replace; something I don't want to have to year. Has anyone found a tyre for the 19 inch rims which is both hard-wearing, cheap and quiet?

·
Registered
268 Posts
Another
for Kuhmos, got Vredstien winters on the front at the mo, just wondering where the winter is

·
Registered
69 Posts
I've found the toe-in on the tyres to be the main problem, and not normally how you drive.I am used to getting 15-20k out of fronts and 25-30k out of rears, but have gone through a full set by 20k including replacing the fronts after a little over 10k.

I've never been a huge fan of Michelins, and think they are massively overrated and overpriced, so really I couldn't wait to get rid of them.

I've always been a premium tyre kinda guy, with a preference for good wet weather tyres.

I replaced my fronts with the new Goodyear efficient grips - which unusually are a good wet weather tyre AND good fuel economy. They are a little softer compound than what you'd normally expect from say a goodyear NCT5 or similar and the ride quality is much more tolerable than the previous michelins - softer in a good way so it doesn't feel like you're about to lose your fillings when you go over potholes. Wear so far at about 10k miles through is a lot better than the michelins.

On the rears I went for some conti sports after having a good experience on my other car (a mini) - again these are a softer compound, but it does make the car handle better and not feel quite so skittish when travelling over rougher road and/or in the wet.

I considered the Kumho as well, but have found the sidewalls and ride to be a little on the firmer side and have more of a tendancy to let go in the wet.

Hope this is of help to anyone having to fork out.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts