Citroen DS4 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

So my car recently came back from Citroen after having the Blind spot system looked at. They had a little once over the car and the tyre treads are alarmingly low for a car that's done 9.5k since new... (granted this was only the end of April!)

From what I can find on the interwebs most new tyres come with 8mm of tread, I've currently got 4mm on the front and 5mm on the back! Considering they recommend changing at 2mm, I haven't got long left!

I do like to plant my foot every now and then, but I'm not one to spin away from every set of lights or try go round roundabouts sideways! Is this likely to be the factory fit tyres? I'm not looking forward to replacing, they're bloody expensive on the 19" carins!

Dan :)

·
Registered
66 Posts
That's about the same rate of wear I am experiencing on my year old, 10500 miles 2.0Hdi Automatic DStyle and is about what I expected from the factory fit Michelins with the heavier weight of a diesel engine.

·
Registered
154 Posts
There's a thread on this forum about tyre life:

http://www.ds4ownersclub.co.uk/forum/tyre-life_topic664_page1.html

I managed to get almost 22,000 miles from the Michelins on my DSport from new, but was very surprised at the wear on the inside of the rear tyres which was much more than the outside and on the front tyres. In truth, had I noticed that earlier I guess I would have changed them around 20,000 miles. That still seems pretty good by comparison with what others have achieved.

I put Kumho Ecsta Le Sport KU39's on the car at around £120 each and I've been very pleased with them so far (I've done around 10,000 miles on them). Not the quietest tyres, but good in the wet and reasonable for fuel economy.

Edited by: TheBadgerJC

·
Registered
29 Posts
I put Kumho Ecsta Le Sport KU39on my Dsport all round approx 20,000 miles ago and have just replaced the fronts with another pair, well impressed with wet grip, my original Michelin Pilot sport tyres were worn out at 12,000 miles and didn't offer as much wet traction. Will be fitting rears soon.
Still averaging 52.4 mpg.
Edited by: wylie

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry for not replying.

Thank you for your comments though, good to hear that one of the cheaper options seem to be coming out on top!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hi ,
Just bought a couple of Kumho KU39's and was surprised they had no rim protection. Could have sworn that they were recommended as HAVING rim protection. Did you find the same?

·
Premium Member
937 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
I did see that they were described as having rim protection but saw them before I bought them to know that wasn't actually the case. I fitted them anyway as I wasn't prepared to pay more money for an extra bit of rubber that, if it was anything like that on the Michelins I took off, did nothing to protect the rim on the only occasion I needed it

·
Registered
56 Posts
The main probelm with rim protection on the 19" Cairns wheels is that we're putting the wrong tyres on them.

French DS4s don't come with 19" wheels as standard. They're purely optional.

The wheels were really designed for the DS5, where they get 245 section tyres instead of our 235. No wonder rim protection doesn't stick out very far!

I've wondered about putting 245 sections tyres on mine, but it's likely to make more road noise, not to mention speedometer inaccuracy and possible insurance issues.

Edited by: Sarky Git

·
Premium Member
937 Posts
19" Cairns Alloys have 225 tyres not 235 as standard fit

·
Registered
56 Posts
19" Cairns Alloys have 225 tyres not 235 as standard fit
Oops. I mean 225 on the DS4 and 235 on the DS5. The wheels are the same though.

I would link to the brochures, but the new ones are up and they don't have that information any more.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So I'm considering Pirelli Pzero Nero to replace my front two as they're nearly at the 2mm markers. Has anyone used these on their lovely DS4's?

·
Premium Member
937 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yeah had read up quite a lot on them opinions are very divided, range seems to come out on top though! Always good to hear from actual people rather than a review though!

·
Premium Member
937 Posts
Unfortunately not many posts = not many replies....so real world answers may hard to come by Dan

·
Registered
3 Posts
When we bought our DS4 D-Sport in 2011 it had brand new Nankang (or however you spell it!) tyreson the front and the orig PS3's on the back (after only 9000 miles!) and they were the worst tyre I have ever had on a car, noisy (unable to speak at normal volumes on the motorway), no grip at all in the wet and not much more in the dry, plus no steering feel at all, at about 19k it needed the tyres replacing againthank god (the tracking was out and we hadn't noticed!) and all 4 needed swapping, got a good deal on Michelin Pilot Super Sports, actually cheaper than the SP3's I was looking for, they transformed the car, silent on the motorway, good grip in the wet, excellent in the dry, plenty of feedback, very happy, pricey though! Just before Xmas our Abarth 500 needed 4 new tyres, was planning on sticking SP3's on it but due to on going and thus very expensive house renovations, I stuck 4 Kumho Ecsta HS51's on it (£58 fitted a corner against £95 for the SP3's), wow is all I can say, almost silent, amazing dry grip, but in the wet they wipe the floor with even the SuperSports on the DS4 (and the A500 is renowned for being a handful in the wet), I can boot it out of junctions if need be when it's chucking it down and not a hint of slip, the DS4 will axel hop, no aquaplaning on the motorway etc, when the DS4 next needs tyres these will be going on it!

Edited by: griff74

·
Premium Member
937 Posts
Good recommendation
Thanks

1 - 20 of 33 Posts