Citroen DS4 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my DS4 THP DSport from a Citroen Dealership when it was a year old. I've owned it for 2.5 years now and have had nothing but trouble with it.

So far we have had:

<ul>[*]Terrible smell in the car - diagnosed as being the pollen filter & not covered by warranty even though car had only done 10,000 miles[*]Engine management light on - car went into limp mode. Sensors reset reason not identified[*]Engine management fault- took 3 weeks to diagnose including the car being returned twice as fine only to go into limp mode on the motorway. Finally identified as a cracked cylinder head which was replaced (thankfully under warranty)[*]Some sort of Valve/Pipe problem (no idea what they did)[*]Bonnet paint bubbled - Bonnet replaced[*]Heat Sensor fault - Replacement needed[*]High Pressure Fuel Pump problem - Replacement needed[/list]
By the time we got to the heat sensor the warranty had expired and we had to pay. When the fuel pump went (it was on it's second visit to Citroen in 3 days - the first time it went in with the same fault they said it must have been fuel contamination and it was fine now) I demanded they contacted Citroen headquarters and ask them to pay.

My local dealership told me since I hadn't bought the car from them it was nothing to do with them. But it's a Citroen approved vehicle from the network of dealers I cried. Tough they said (in a few more flowery words). So I phoned Citroen myself whilst begging and borrowing cars off family members to get to work and related my sorry and rather uninspiring tale of DS4 ownership. Three days later they got back to me and agreed to pay for the parts but I had to pay the labour.

So my car is back on the road but I can't help wondering for how long. I've never owned a Citroen before and doubt I will again. The worst thing is I love the car - I just can't be sure when I get in it in the morning that it will work!

On top of all this I don't trust my local Citroen garage. Every fault above (apart from the bonnet) occurred within weeks of them servicing my vehicle - it's had two services and two clusters of problems following each one. On my last service when I picked the car up I was told they hadn't replaced the spark plugs. When I asked why they said it probably wasn't needed I leaned over the desk to read the paper work and that said they weren't in stock!! So I gave them a piece of my mind in relation to their ability to get the parts for a service booked a week in advance and then lying to the customer about it and made them come and collect my car at a later date fit the spark plugs and return it to me free of charge.

I'm just tired of the constant battling over the car and wonder have I been unlucky or is it time to cut my losses and look for a new car (from a different manufacturer). In the 2.5 years I've owned it, it's spent nearly 7 weeks in for repair.

·
Registered
544 Posts
That isn't a good experience at all - to be fair the pollen filter is a service item and if the previous owner never ran the air conditioning then it might well be clogged up. The 1.6THP Does seem to suffer faults though and those you describe seem reasonably common from what I have read here.

I would suggest changing your citroen dealer though, we are lucky that ours is superb but they aren't all like that!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would agree about changing dealership but unfortunately the same people own all the dealerships in a 25 mile radius of our house. The one we go to is their main one and is where cars needing major repairs are sent from the other garages - it should be the best one.

To add to my tale of woe the car had a blow out on the dual carriageway last night and I've got to get someone out to put a new one on. Forty-four years of combined driving experience and never had a blow out before this. I swear there's a cosmic conspiracy against either me or this car. I tend to think it's this car

To add insult to injury its the tyre Citroen fitted at the last service after phoning me to say the tyre tread was illegal. I checked before the car went in and they were on the legal limit and had booked the car in elsewhere to change them, they were adamant the tyres had to be changed before the car was collected. What did the paperwork say when I picked it up - Tyres were on the legal limit not below it. The tyre only went on it in November.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts