Citroen DS4 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having trouble getting music to play from my USB. It's been checked at the garage and it's working so it must be how I'm saving the music. Silly question but do I need a particular type of USB stick? I'm copying music from iTunes on my lap top and I've tried doing it straight from CD. Would be easiest obviously to copy from my iTunes playlists. Can anyone explain exactly what I need to do?
Thanks in advance -:)

·
Registered
472 Posts
The only thing I can think of is you may be saving tracks as mp4 files and you need them to be mp3 files, you can make copies of mp3 files using iTunes it happened to me by default iTunes makes mp4's unless you change the default to mp3

·
Registered
38 Posts
You won't be able to copy and past from itunes, they are in a special format, you need MP3 files so convert into MP3 from itunes and then save onto your USB stick. You may be able to create folders for different genresrather than having all tracks in the same place, you'll have to try this though, I don't use USB sticks in my car. Good luck :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
I understand from the manual on the Citroen site that the USB stick must be formatted as FAT16 or FAT32. Secondly, I read somewhere (it may even have been on the forum) that there is limit in the size of USB sticks to 16G. As for getting your music files from iTunes; if you locate the folder on your pc where the files reside, you should be able to simply copy them from that location to your USB stick. If your iTunes files are in MP3 format I would expect the DS4 player to play the files without any trouble. Furthermore, the online manual states that the DS4 player can cope with a range of audio files in addition to files in the mp3 format, but not MP4. If you look for the Music folder within your iTunes library using Explorer, you should be able to copy the audio files to your USB stick. It would also be a good idea to make sure your audio files have all their tags complete, as the player will then presumably display all this information for you. I say all this as a non-DS4 owner but due to collect my vehicle this coming weekend!! One of the things I will be trying out as soon as I get the car is audio via USB, so I can report back my experiences if that would be of help to you. I must say I do like the idea of being able to plug a USB stick of 16G into the player and have a wealth of music available. A 16G USB will hold a huge number of MP3 files. Regards, Martin
Edited by: mgjsmith

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info. I'd read about the format of the stick but I think I've now worked out my problem is the converting to mp3. Don't know how. Of I copy straight from iTunes it doesn't work.
Hope you enjoy your ds4 as much as I do! Fantastic car! ˜Š

·
Registered
66 Posts
I would like to add to this thread, with a plea for any suggestions. Firstly I should say I am of the slide rule generation, struggling to keep up with the ever increasing technical advances. I have music on 2Gb USB sticks in mp3 files, but I can't get the music to load - the dash says 'wait'. My Citroen dealer has investigated and has loaded my music onto his 16Gb USB stick and the music has played in my car. He has also tried my USB sticks on a similar system (in a C4 Picasso of the same age) and my sticks worked. Does anyone have any thoughts? Thanks.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Check what the USB stick format is:
FAT 32 or
NTFS.

The stereo may not read one of those formats.

To check what it is plug the USB stick in a computer and go to my computer, right click on the USB stick and click on properties and it will tell you under file system.

You can then format the USB stick to the other format. Remember to copy your music to the computer first because formatting deletes everything from the drive. Once done copy the music back to the USB stick and see if that makes any difference.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Thanks Dan. I've sorted it, but don't know what was causing the problem. The format of the three 2Gb USB sticks was correct, but they wouldn't play in the car. I simply transfered the files onto a new 16Gb stick and hey presto. It is strange that the original 3 sticks didn't work. They worked in the PC and also on my new TV - they were of different manufacturers and were all about 6 years old, but I wouldn't have thought their age have caused the problem?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Just sounds like a format issue of some description if it connects to your computer and TV and works. Now that you have used a new USB stick try reformatting your old USB sticks and try different formats see if that makes a different.

At least you have managed to sort it Paul.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts