Citroen DS4 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi my car recently started showing a engine fault warning light I’ve taken it to a couple of garages first one changed spark plugs then I got a diagnostic test done then a service then back to diagnostic test it’s showing wet timing belt problem I’ve contacted the local citron garage as I’ve saw on line there has been a recall on ds4 cars (and others) due to this issues however they don’t appear to want to acknowledge this issue my car is a 2017 with 52000 miles on the clock this seems a bit low mileage to be having this problem anyone had similar issues with citroen and can give abide please

·
Super Moderator
1,048 Posts
What engine?
Wet with what? oil or coolant?
What kind of diagnostic test comes back with a wet timing belt?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What engine?
Wet with what? oil or coolant?
What kind of diagnostic test comes back with a wet timing belt?
Apparently because of how the timing belt is fitted it’s called a wet timing belt something to do with it perhaps going though something to do with the oil (don’t quote me)

·
Super Moderator
1,048 Posts
So, probably a 1.2 engine and the stupid timing belt system.
If it is then they are know to have issues.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So, probably a 1.2 engine and the stupid timing belt system.
If it is then they are know to have issues.
Yes I’ve seen that but because my car is September 2017 it’s not been included in recall but has same issues not sure how to prove this to them but

·
Registered
22 Posts
I had a Peugeot 208 with the non-turbo 1.2, 3 cylinder engine. The timing belt was indeed internal, and described as a "wet belt". Never had the timing belt changed, but I remember having the car serviced last September and the auxiliary (alternator) belt had to be replaced because it was starting to de-laminate and break up. While this belt isn't a wet one, it was worrying all the same. The car had covered 45000 miles from September 2014.

·
Registered
209 Posts
We have one of the 1.2 engines affected in my wifes DS3. Ours is 2016 and currently has covered about 19,000 miles from new. Apparently there were two belts fitted to this engine over the affected period. One is slightly wider than the other. The wider one can soften in the oil and shed some rubber which blocks the oil intake and some filters in the vacumn pump (resulting in loss of brakes) . The recall simply altered the software to allow a bypass for the vacumn pump and a measure with a tool to see which belt was fitted. Wider = replace. However advice was given that these belts should be replaced (IIRC) at 65,000 miles or 6 years. So next year I will replace my wifes cam belt at the lowest mileage that I have for many years.
Fixed price replacement by Citroen is £399 but having looked at YouTube etc it doesn't look any more difficult than any other twin cam belt change although a little more has to be dismantled. If you look around there are two methods of changing, Citroen advise dismanltling the cam pulleys but there is another method which does not do this which is the one I will do - simpler!

·
Super Moderator
1,048 Posts
You do wonder why they change things when the conventional belts have been problem free for many many years.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts