Citroen DS4 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, have a 160 DSPORT and after looking at price for 19" winter tyres, looking at going down route of smaller second hand alloys or steelies to bring down price of tyres plus can then just swap wheels over at spring/autumn time. Is 17" smallest to go for realistically and which other models wheels could be fitted?

Thanks in advance Paul.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for that,did do a search but couldn't find a definitive answer, so will any 17" rims from a c4 fit then? cheers

·
Registered
56 Posts
The three types of Mk1 C4 wheel ought to fit. I can't tell you about the Mk2.

Resolfen: 5402K6
Toka Toka: 5402K5
Volubilis: 5402Q7

They're all the same size.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Are you definately going to be in an environment that will warrant 'winter wheels' ?

I know that in Europe, and certainly Germany, winter tyres (and in certain areas chains) are obligatory, but in the UK our bad weather conditions are rarely 'genuinely bad'. I cannot help but wonder just how much of the 'new thing of having seasonal tyres' is marketing hype in the UK.

I have a mate who ran winters on his Suzuki Jimny, and overall it was more of a pain. Apart from the year round storage of a pile of large wheels winter rubber wears faster than normal tyres and grip/handling in hotter condtions may not match the original issued covers.

I too have a D Sport, running on 19's (which when you have a classic car on 12's and another family Citroen on 15's are huge), and yes I have considered going to smaller wheels, partly for ride and partly for replacement costs, Looking at on line tyre prices, like for like you will save £25 ish for every inch you drop down so I may be consider it when it gets time to get new tyres but only for year round rubber on genuine Citroen rims.

DSport 160

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Place I work out of is in middle of nowhere, surrounded by untreated roads and hills, so for me I can definitely justify winter tyres after seeing even 4 wheel drive cars getting stuck with only a couple of inches of snow on the road. Plus it will help keep the 19's in good condition knowing how fragile they are.

·
Premium Member
937 Posts
Citroen CS told me that 17s wouldn't fit due to larger calipers on the D Sport
I bought 4 winter tyres. My local tyre garage stores them free for me and charges me £40 to swap over
I will do the same when we get the new Prestige on Tuesday

·
Registered
77 Posts
Wow,

Chris, thanks for that info, save me buying a set of 17's, I dont think going down to 18's is reallyworth the effort to go up to 45 profile from 40's.

DSport 160

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well I've ordered a set of 17" steelies so will soon find out if they do or not!!!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Silver,

Please keep us informed how you get on, as I would be interested to see if they can fit or whether they were just fobbing Chris off, not wanting anyone to change anything on one of their cars. (I know it is hard to image that, isnt it LOL)

DSport 160

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Of course I will, hopefully have rims by the weekend so will give them a quick try and report back.

·
Premium Member
161 Posts
It's actually a struggle to find winters in 19" size, never mind the cost. Seems to be a lot more availability on smaller wheel sizes.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
My thoughts exactly, plus less chance of alloys getting scratched with changing tyres twice a year.

·
Registered
56 Posts
My DSport wears Michelin Pilot Alpin PA4 in the winter. They're not cheap though.
http://www.mytyres.co.uk/cgi-bin/rshop.pl?typ=R-221400
I'm sure they were cheaper when I bought mine.

Unfortunately they don't offer much rim protection. Not many tyres do since the 19" Cairns wheels orginally had 235/40 R19 tyres on the DS5 instead of the 225 section we've got.

I'm seriously tempted to switch to 235s but it means replacing two sets of tyres. On the other hand, have you seen the price of a new wheel?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well tried wheels today, rear has loads of clearance, however front only clears calliper by 2-3mm so maybe spacers for front req, but overall very happy.Edited by: Silver DS4

·
Registered
395 Posts
Hi all,Been a member for several years but only check forum irregularly these days.

I have DS4 160 sport and swap out wheels in winter.
Checked all this before, I agree with previous writers that 19" tyres for Cairns are lottery money.

I bought a set of 17" black alloys with winter tyres and have run these for 3 years.

Observations:
The DS4 sport 160HDI has larger front calipers and 17" is minimum size that can fit and as some found not all wheels fit depending on thickness of alloys etc - buyer beware!

Cost of second set of wheels does offset the cost of getting tyres re-fitted twice a year.

The smaller wheels WILL affect speedo readings - check with a sat nav on a straight road. Mine reads out by 5-6mph with smaller wheels, whereas it reads 1-2mph out on normal 19" wheels.

Also although I love my 19" Cairns wheels, the 17" with larger tyre ratio (60's rather than 40's) are actually smoother and less jarring on potholes, also slightly faster and more economical - my 17" wheels weight 4kg less per wheel!!

If it does snow - Thinner wheels are actually better for snow as they do not 'aquaplane'. Wide low profile tyres sit on snow so slip when accelerating, thinner wheels cut the snow so actually can grip better.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Interestingly, the TPMS system only reports an error about 30 minutes into a journey, drive less or startup -no error.
The error just shows up as service warning, resets every journey. Easily ignored.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts