Citroen DS4 Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First I'll introduce myself, I'm Steven me and the other half are looking to replace a wee zimbardo (an 11 year old silver micra who is well past his best).

Today we went out shopping for DS3s (yes wrong car) having already looked at fiestas, 108s and anything else you can get in purple, but the mrs sat in it and immediately said it was too small.

They had a white DS4 1.6 Dstyle which she took a shine to immediately on sitting in it and having her back massaged. I hadn't looked at DS4s assuming they'd be out of our price range but the depreciation seems pretty fierce so you can get a nice year old one for the price of a high spec pre reg fiesta.

Anyway enough rambling my questions would be 1st how reliable are they? It's a biggish citroen it has a lot of buttons this rings alarm bells for me.

2nd petrol or diesel? We can afford either however due to the lease scheme we'd be looking at only allowing petrols we'd have to get a petrol under it. I have a feeling the diesel would suit the style of car better, can't imagine the 1.6 none turbo being very relaxed. The diesels are cheap enough to buy but if we're buying then we'll have to pay our own repair bills which goes back to question 1.

3rd anything you think I should know or wish you'd known before buying?Edited by: StevenRB45

·
Registered
69 Posts
Hi and welcome. With the ds4 you get a lot for your money even more so second hand. I can only speak from my personal experience of a 1.6 diesel dstyle.

The main things to look for:

Early corrosion on diamond cut alloys - a warranty issue usually, but if outside warranty they can be costly to repair.
Rusting under the front bonnet
Bluetooth phone issues
Sat nav issues/ postcode lookup
Hesitation/misfiring on Diesel engines
Disc brake warping/bearing issues
High tyre wear

You'll find info on all of these issues in the forum.

When I first got mine I loved it and it's a great motorway cruiser IMO.

Now with the issues I've had personally, and what I'd call high running costs, I'm ready to get rid of mine so I wouldn't recommend.

You may think think this is a bit harsh, and I'm sure others will chime in with their own experiences, but I wouldn't want to chance it with a car out of warranty. Like any manufacturer dealer experiences also vary.

·
Registered
544 Posts
It's easy to be taken in by what's assumed to be 'French' reliability but I personally would suggest it's no better or worse the anyone else - I've owned my A2 for over 9 years and been around VAG circles for a long, long time and people still think VW and Audi make 'reliable' cars where as what they mean is 'feel solid'; there's plenty of horror stories out there on lots of products.

Bluetooth isn't very good but that's hardly a deal breaker and nice finish alloys corrode (that's not a Citroen-specific issue), the comments you see on the 1.6HDi misfiring are, in my view, a negative side effect of incredibly stringent environmental performance where fueling momentarily doesn't work correctly due to fine tolerances (our old Picasso did the same as described on here and our DS4 has done it occasionally, usually when cold and being driven hard at low revs), bonnets can corrode on the leading edge but Citroen replace them. You'll always find issues on owners forums but there's not much on here to cause real concern. We had some issues with out Picasso but the dealer was fantastic and Citroen UK always very helpful too. We bought ours at 9 months old and 9k on the clock and intend to keep it to 5 years at least.

I'd heartily recommend one - as for diesel v petrol I've not driven the DS4 with the 1.6VTi engine but have sampled this in a DS3 and 2008; in the former it was decent enough but in the latter it seemed to be less keen due to the weight; I'd suggest the DS4 being heavier would make this worse again but it depends what driving you do.

We are delighted with ours and having just done a round trip to Cornwall at the weekend (730 miles, 57.6mpg) it's been a treat to spend time in The Goddess

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If anything it's nice to hear that citroen are willing to attend to the alloy wheels under warranty, a family member had diamond turned alloys on a focus and was told to get stuffed..

Regarding the engines I do imagine the 1.6 vti would be a bit overwhelmed in a DS4 or at least requiring to have the knackers revved off it which doesn't suit the car from what I've experienced of it (must check how much the thp would cost however have a feeling after her 78bhp it would scare the OH witless). However the car we are replacing only does 7-8k a year so there's a possibility if we buy the diesel it'll not get a full heat cycle on a regular basis. This would then make me concerned about premature turbo wear, dpf issues also does it have a DMF?. The engine itself doesn't hold any fears as it's fitted in such a wide range of applications by several different manufacturers. These concerns would apply to anyone buying any modern diesel for low mileages. I personally would prefer the diesel for it but then we have to pay for our own tyres and maintenance etc although the car is ours to keep, whereas if we get the petrol all we have to do is fuel it and pay the monthly then give it back after three years.

We won't be buying a sat nav fitted car or at least specifying one so I'm not concerned with sat nav issues, Bluetooth wise I can't imagine the OH using it I have retrofit parrot/pioneer system in my car and she doesn't care for that. Concerns would be intermittent electrical faults that baffle the dealer as the car is a lot more complex.

Don't know mrs is currently trying to talk herself back into a DS3...cos you know...PURPLE! and there are no 2nd hand whisper purple ds4s about.

·
Registered
69 Posts
The 1.6 diesel isn't going to set your pants on fire, but it pulls well nonetheless. I personally haven't had any electrical gremlins ( this tends to be more of a pug or renault issue in my experience).

Tyres wear heavily on the ds, even the rears. I'd gone through a full set in 18k, and I normally manage much more than that on reArs, the fronts were done a little after 12k from memory.

The ride in the ds4 is a million times better than the ds3, a lot less crunchy.

One final thing to consider is whether you have kids or older folk that you will transport about. The reason I say this is that the rear doors are a bit awkward to get into, oh, and the rear windows don't open either. The boot space opening can be a little awkward to get bulky items in and out of.

Servicing for the diesel is 12k intervals, and as long as you let it out every now and again the dpf shouldn't cause you any both.

I did at one time think about the ds3 myself, but I got a mini instead and it beats the ds3 easily.

Personally I'd go for the petrol and let someone else take care of the other bills, but I'm quite risk averse!

·
Registered
66 Posts
I wouldn't let the dpf issue put you off a DS4 diesel, Steven. I believe that Citroen and Peugeot diesels are designed to burn the particulates at a lower temperature that most other makes of car and so you don't have to drive as far and fast to get rid of them. My last car was a 2010 C5 2.0Hdi and for the last two years I only did 6K a year and yet I had no issue with the dpf and I have recently changed to a 2.0Hdi DS4. I had no turbo wear problem either. I understand that a lot of the turbo problems happen when people drive the car fast and then turn the engine off too soon (e.g driving into a motorway service station), causing the turbo to overheat and thereby wear. I always let my engine idle for a minute or so before turning it off at such times to allow the turbo to cool and I have had no turbo issues. I don't know about the flywheel in the Citroen 1.6 diesel. I towed a caravan with my C5 without problem and my DS4 has the torque converter gearbox, which avoids the DMF.

·
Registered
544 Posts
I agree, much commentary takes place about DPF's but out Picasso did lots of short journeys and so does the DS4 ad it hasn't (touch wood) ever been an issue although it does get properly warmed-up once a fortnight at least. The technology improves all the time. Turbos don't suffer from stop start driving but likewise they get killed by poor servicing; do it annually or 12k and get somebody who knows the DV6 engine to do it (the sump plug is recessed and lazy servicing kills turbo's as the crud builds up). Even long motorway journeys aren't an issue for the turbo as you usually slow down on the way into a service station (for example) which is sufficient time for the hot oil to circulate so cooler oil is left around the turbo.

Also in my experience Citroen provide positive support outside of warranty - our clutch collapsed at 4 years old and 48k on the Picasso - no premature wear but the release bearing gave up (driving from York to Cambridgeshire with barely more than 5th gear was fun...); Citroen footed the whole bill as it was clearly a faulty item and we had a FCSH and good relationship with our dealer. The only other issue it suffered was a faulty pressure switch on the A/C which was a £140 replacement part. In over. 5 years and 67k that's not bad...Edited by: Frank Bullitt

·
Registered
227 Posts
I don't think there is anything specific about the DS4 to watch out for in terms of failures that you don't have to also look out for on other vehicles and brands.
Diamond Cut Wheels - don't think citroen will be that much different to most other European brands on corrosion issues. The best makes for getting those replaced are Toyota and Mercedes who will swap wheels if under 3 years old and is deemed to be manufacturer issue. - best advice ... Avoid DC wheels wherever possible
In terms of quirks ..
Rear entry is awkward (better then a DS3 though!) and non-opening rear windows - only an issue if it's a problem for you
Visibility - I thought it was acceptable when I got mine, but changed my mind. The rear 3/4 view is dreadful.
Sat-Nav - could be better for sure, but it's ok. The sat-Nav screen is used for the radio of course, and that makes it much better to use then the basic 1 line radio display and info IMO.

when I was buying my DS4, I sat in the DS5 in the showroom and much preferred it, to be totally honest, but didn't want to spend that much money. 6 months later I was in a DS5 as the DS4 never gelled for me. Lovely looking car, lovely interior, but didn't light the flames after the initial ownership buzz, for some reason.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well it's now up to the OH, think she would prefer a DS4 but the DS3 is cheaper, also size of the DS4 is scaring her regards parking it as biggest car she has ever driven is a fiesta and it's about 60 quid cheaper a month. She's gonna test drive both and make a decision she says by the end of the month.

If she doesn't get one I'll look at getting one to replace my swift when the time comes, I was looking at getting a late run FN civic as the only 5 door car I'd seen that isn't wilfully dull. We don't really need a "Proper" car it's only us the house rabbit currently so it only has to be an occasional 4-5 seater.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Plenty of people seem to have moved to the DS4 from the Civic - for what it's worth the DS4 is perfectly capable of ferrying a family around too, it suits us and our nearly 5 year old son; family transport when I was a kid was a 652cc Citroen Visa Special which was a darned sight smaller (and slower, with 34bhp!). My Dad is a weapons-grade tightwad though and to prove the point that got replaced with a Skoda Estelle!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The plot thickens, turns out we can have the diesel as well.

Size wise you have to remember what we are comparing it to, I have a 3 door 06 swift, she has a 5 door (well 4 door currently, never let renualt do electrics) micra neither is exactly huge both have been used for family duties so far. Mine went down to Yorkshire from Newcastle and back 4 up including a 3 yr old and their childseat, where there's a will theres a way. So yeah we don't care about huge space as long as there is space for people when the inlaws come ringing, and a weekly shop that's all we need most days.

·
Registered
19 Posts
is my first citreon I was having second thoughts but my mother in law had a c3 piccasso it was great no issues so ive always liked the look of the ds4 they are rare great looking mines a ds4 hdi 160 sport in white looks fantastic as for Bluetooth there is a free software update at dealers plus u get dab go with your gut instinct also everyone has own opions its what u think counts you get three yrs warante any way the sport has fantastic leather seats which makes it even more special

·
Registered
19 Posts
sorry but tyres are only about 100 to 130 mark if you shop around any to get even wear change the front for back at 6000 miles even they will last longer on low miles it will last you two yrs iam a low mileage user about 8000 yr so all I do is give it good forty minute blast down the motorway this gets dpf hot and it works ok mines a diesel but I love they way it drives so no probs on the motorway 65mpg on around town 45.6 and that's 2.o ltr 160 bhp diesel

·
Registered
69 Posts
Have to disagree with the tyre wear and swapping tyres around, I can usually easily get 20k out of fronts and up to 30k out of rears but nowhere close on this car. 100-130 a corner is not cheap even when shopping around.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
A pair of premium tyres for the micra 120 quid, pair of cheap ones 80. So yeah 100 quid a corner is not inconsequential, however if we get one it will be fully maintained at company expense so not our problem.

Of course mrs has wobbled back towards the DS3...so er yeah. Well if we do get one it'll be a 1.6 DStyle 115, in either whisper purple or gun metal with a whisper purple roof, if not it'll be a similar spec DS3, or a fiesta...or a 208. I've lost the will to live at this point.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts