DS4OwnersClub.co.uk banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me if it's possible to change normal bulb lights into xenon ones? The orange strips in the front light cluster don't look good to me... pity I did not think of it before.

·
Registered
551 Posts
I suppose anything is possibleCost a fortune though
Also you would have to fit head light washers to be legal here in the UK

·
Registered
472 Posts
As Chud says there must be more to it than just changing the bulb otherwise they would only be about a £10 option not a couple of hundred

·
Registered
231 Posts
it will cost a fortune to change lights over as statedbut you can fit a xenon conversion kit for better lighting, which i am going to look at doing in summer when it's wamer.

as for the orange indicator bit i think clear looks much better.. it's a shame we can't just change to clear bulb

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
dug said:
it will cost a fortune to change lights over as statedbut you can fit a xenon conversion kit for better lighting, which i am going to look at doing in summer when it's wamer.

as for the orange indicator bit i think clear looks much better.. it's a shame we can't just change to clear bulb
If changing to xenon is a such expensive and complicated thing, there must be a way to change the orange indicators to ones in white or silver. Anybody done that?

·
Registered
231 Posts
not that i know of ?but would be a great upgrade if we could sort it ( orange looks so old fashioned )

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
dug said:
not that i know of ?but would be a great upgrade if we could sort it ( orange looks so old fashioned )
Couldn't agree more, it's the only thing I hate about my Shark. Need to ask my dealer about it.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hi

I'm pretty sure the orange strips are part of the light cluster. The xenon light clusters on the ds4 are different... the indicator is near to where the sidelight is. In fact the look a bit pants compared to the halogen clusters. To convert to xenon would require self leveling as well as headlight washers and if memory serves, they are about to pass ruling in he UK that says to retrofit xenon bulbs you need the lenses as well.

Take care... Azzy

·
Registered
60 Posts
Taken from the above link:""Are Xenon HID Lights legal? To be within the letter of the law, your car should be fitted with headlamp levellers (self levelling suspension is also acceptable) and headlamp washers. Earlier headlamp types are not suitable for conversion as the reflector and lens design cannot adequately control the light pattern, often dazzling oncoming traffic. Headlamps that are marked ECE98 are suitable for conversion. These generally have 'projector' style lights fitted (sometimes refered to as 'elipsoid' lights). For more detailed information please visit the DfT website at: http://www.dft.gov.uk/pgr/roadsafety""�

·
Registered
202 Posts
Jeeez, why is everything so complicated. I was hoping to change my indicators to white but not at a big cost. I also think the orange indicators are dated. Xx

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi Caz, safety items such as indicators, brake and fog lights etc. are all governed by international standards and regulations so as to ensure cars provide the strongest signals. White indicators would be indistinguishable from a head or sidelight or even those flashing bike front lights.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I think the idea was to change the indicator LENS to white, not to have to flashing a white light
just need a coloured bulb needed to keep it legal and safe afterwards

·
Registered
202 Posts
Yeah just wanted the lens white, I understand that it would have to flash orange for others to see but the orange lens looks old and dated. Xx

·
Registered
227 Posts
The slightly weird thing is that the indicators at the rear are pretty much white, so you would think the ones in the front would be also to match

·
Registered
227 Posts
So .... To fit Xenon lights you need self-levelling adjustment, and washers, etc, etc.
Could you fit the headlight clusters used for the Xenons (so getting the clear indicator lens I presume?) and THEN fit ordinary bulbs

This would presumably remove the legal need for washers, etc, and I would be pretty sure the wiring loom would be interchangeable for ease of fitting on the production line.
Just a little thought for a Saturday morning

1 - 17 of 17 Posts